Create your own conference schedule! Click here for full instructions

Abstract Detail



Recent Topics Posters

Adongbede , Erute Magdalene [1], Tomoloju, Damilola Elizabeth [1].

Phytoremediation of crude oil polluted soils using Paspalum vaginatum (The role of fungi) .

Crude oil spills are a perennial problem in Nigeria and Phytoremediation is an environment friendly option available.  Phytoremdiation of crude oil polluted soil with the plant Paspalum vaginatum is investigated here with emphasis on the role those fungi in its rhizosphere play in degradation of the contaminant. Sterile and non-sterile soil contaminated with different levels of crude oil contamination had the plant grown in them. Fungi isolated from the rhizosphere of P. vaginatum were screened for their degradative abilities using in situ methods. The plant P. vaginatum grew in all levels of crude oil contamination but with reduction in the plant’s growth parameters. Crude oil contamination did not cause significant reduction of biomass using dry weight index at 5-15% level of contamination but only at 20% level of contamination. The fungi isolated from the plants rhizosphere were Aspergilus flavus and Penicillium chrysogenum. Gravimetric methods indicate that there was degradation of crude oil, which was highest (58.80%) in P. chrysogenum with the 5% level contamination and least (6.80%) in 20.00% level of contamination.   There was no significant difference between A. flavus and P. chrysogenum with regards to degradation of crude oil at 5 % level of contamination. The GC-MS analysis indicated that there were a total of 60 hydrocarbons in the crude oil and 40-41 compounds were completely removed at 5% level of contamination. Degradation was less at 10% level of contamination as 23-25 compounds only were completely metabolized. Decane 3,7-dimethyl was degraded by A. flavus but not by P. chrysogenum. Compounds like nonadecane was metabolized by P.chrysogenum but not by A. flavus. octadecane 1-chloro was only metabolized at 5% level of contamination. Degradation was highest for residual hydrocarbons with cyclopropane nonyl and lowest in naphthalene 2,3, -dimethyl- with the fungus A. flavus. P.chrysogenum recorded highest degradation with cyclopropane nonyl and least with Naphthalene, 2,3,6-trimethyl-. The plant Paspalum vaginatum proved to be a good phytoremediation agent. Degradation of most compounds in crude oil was successful using the fungi isolated from the root zone of the plant. This study confirms the suspicion that the remediation activities of the plant can be attributed to the microbial population in the root zone of the plant. 

Broader Impacts:


Log in to add this item to your schedule

1 - University of Lagos, Botany, University Road, Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, Lagos, 01234, Nigeria

Keywords:
Phytoremediation
Rhizosphere
degradation
Petroleum hydrocarbon
Contamination.

Presentation Type: Recent Topics Poster
Session: P
Location: Grand Salon A - D/Riverside Hilton
Date: Monday, July 29th, 2013
Time: 5:30 PM
Number: PRT043
Abstract ID:1340
Candidate for Awards:None


Copyright 2000-2012, Botanical Society of America. All rights reserved